Saturday, March 28, 2009

Another Favorite Salad

I was quite annoyed several months back when I went to Arby's (I know, I know...) with the kids - they love the roast beef and ham-n-cheez [<--really can't call it otherwise, or you'd insult real cheese] sandwiches, but I was a huge fan of their now-discontinued Martha's Vineyard salad....so I was shocked to find it gone from the menu. So I made it at home to spite them.

Here's the basic ingredients:

* 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent in "tenders"), cooked
in lite Italian dressing (put them in a 9x9 glass pan, squirt some dressing
over the top and bake for 30-40 minutes at 375*) and sliced into strips
when cooled .

* 1 pt. grape or cherry tomatoes

* 2/3 c. shredded cheddar (more or less to taste)

* 1/2 c. Craisins (or other/no-brand dried cranberries)

* 1 large apple, cored and cubed (I like a nice tart Granny Smith, but
use your favorite - peeled or not, up to you)

* 1 bottle raspberry vinaigrette dressing

* 1/3 c. sliced or slivered almonds

* Assorted greens - I prefer a mix of fresh iceberg and romaine, but get a
bag of whatever you like best if you're in a hurry - washed and reasonably
dry

Toss all the ingredients together, cutting the apple up and tossing it in at the last second to avoid browning. This is a great "meal" salad or makes a nice side.

Stupid Arby's.

No comments: