Sunday, April 6, 2008

Polish Cucumbers in Sour Cream

From my So.Cal. Soul Sista - TheDigitalHairshirt:

Peel any number of cukes. I thinly slice them, using a mandolin. Mix in a little bit of kosher salt, maybe about a 1/2 teaspoon for every cucumber you peel and slice. Let that stand for at least two hours.

Then squeeze the juice out of the cucumbers, discarding the juice. I use a ricer but bare hands will work too - you want to end up with limp, dryish slices.

Now mix in sour cream, red wine vinegar, and dill weed. How much? Well, I know this will frustrate a new cook, but just enough. You don't want too much red wine vinegar or it becomes too sour and waters down the sour cream.

Try this - add the sour cream first to the level you like - just as when you make a potato salad, some like it with a lot of mayo,others not so much. Then start with about two tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Add dill weed to taste.

Refirgerate until ready to serve.

(Can't wait to try this one! Thanks Stephanie!)

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh gosh - My Mom made this all the time. Oh course, now I do, too.
So good.

Kasia said...

My grandmother made this, but without the dill weed. And I think she might have put just a touch of sugar in.

Mmm...