Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holiday Blog Potluck Entry #2

The Most Excellent Larry's Sweet Potatoes:

This is a recipe I dug out of a Reader's Digest cookbook called "Cook Now, Serve Later". It's a hit at the family Christmas dinner, but I'm sure it'll work jes' fine for Turkey Day.

ORANGE-PRALINE SWEET POTATOES

2-1/2 lbs SP's, peeled, quartered and boiled until tender.

1/3 c. OJ1 tsp orange rind, grated

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp gnd ginger

1/4 tsp black pepper

5 Tbsp butter or margarine

1 egg

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 tsp grd cinnamon

1/2 c chopped pecans

(1) Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mash the SP's. Add the OJ, rind, salt, ginger, pepper, 2 Tbsp butter and egg. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Spooon potatoes into a buttered, shallow, 1-1/2 qt casserole or 10-inch quiche pan, smoothing the top.

*NOTE* I have never ever used a quiche pan, just so you know!!
[Yahsureyoubetcha, Larry... ;-) --Ed.]

(2) In a small saucepan, combine remaining 3 Tbsp of butter, sugar and cinnamon. Ove low heat, cook uncovered until blended. Spread the mixture on top of potatoes and sprinkle with the pecans.

*NOTE 2* I always use more pecans than 1/2 c because I can. I like to have pretty good coverage.

*NOTE 3* At this point the potatoes can be refrigerated , tightly covered, for up to 24 hours, if so desired

(3) Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 6 - I double this for the holidays, and if you do, just use a bigger pan. I usually use a 13x 9 x 2 glass casserole dish.

No comments: