Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Potluck Entry #1: Kasia's Candied Sweet Potatoes

Kasia gets a gold star for going first!

Our family's candied sweet potatoes (I suppose yams would work too, but I'm pretty sure we use s.p.'s...), courtesy of The Big Seester:

You will need: a mess of sweet potatoes (depending on size, maybe one per person and a few extra; but these make yummy leftovers even if they aren't QUITE as good as they are fresh),

a lot of butter, and a lot of brown sugar (we use light brown).

Scrub the potatoes and boil them 'til the skins are loose (don't overcook or they'll be mushy).

Pull off the skins and slice the potatoes thickly (about 1/2" thick).

In an electric skillet, melt a stick of butter and add enough brown sugar for it to get syrupy.

Fry the potato slices in the sugary buttery goop.(In case you couldn't tell, this year will be the first year I will actually be making these. So it is entirely possible that I am leaving out important information. Use the recipe at your own risk... ;-))

I'm thinking medium heat for the skillet, and you fry them 'til they're goopy outside, soft through, and a touch brown on the outside but not burnt. I hope I'm right... (worried look)

No worries allowed! Sounds like a good one....sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar syrupy substance? Oh yeaaaaaahhh!

Part of the fun in your early married years, dear soon-to-be-hitched Clam, is making stuff for the first time and sharing your kitchen triumphs AND tragedies. Makes great stories for the youngsters. Sometime I'll tell you about Christmas, 1993, and my Picasso Christmas Cookies. (NOT my fault, btw...)

1 comment:

Kasia said...

I forgot to mention, add butter and brown sugar as needed as you fry up the 'taters... :-)